DENSITY | LEADERSHIP | PUBLIcations

The Breakthrough

Inspired by the blue crayfish’s natural ability to efficiently mobilize and direct its calcium stores towards exoskeletal production, Amorphical scientists discovered and patented a proprietorial process for the manufacture of synthetic Amorphous Calcium Carbonate (ACC) currently being studied in therapeutic applications such as Osteoporosis, Hypoparathyroidism and bone metastases.

Amorphical recognized the untapped potential represented by this unique, rapidly absorbable calcium source for potentially preventing and treating metabolic bone diseases. The company engaged leading scientists to discover the molecular mechanism behind the stabilization of Amorphous Calcium Carbonate and to translate it into a platform technology that enables us to produce a novel form of calcium.**

Amorphous Calcium Carbonate

Bone loss is a natural process that usually accelerates after the age of 40. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, low bone mass and Osteoporosis is a significant danger to health and quality of life for almost 50% of people aged 50 and over.

In addition to strong bones and teeth, calcium is essential for a number of physiological processes including proper functioning of the cardiovascular, neurological, hematological and neuromuscular systems.

Calcium deficiency is not immediately noticeable, because the body succeeds in maintaining blood calcium levels by extracting calcium from the bones. However, in the long term, calcium deficiency can cause severe health problems, some of which are life threatening.

Despite the severity of the problem, existing calcium supplements (with or without vitamin D) are not adequate solutions. The body’s ability to absorb the crystallized calcium carbonate in most supplements and food additives is extremely limited. The efficacy of these supplements in preventing osteoporosis and fractures is inefficient due to low bioavailability. Clinical studies with ACC have demonstrated two times more calcium gastrointestinal absorption (bioavailability) vs. common calcium supplements.**** This high absorption supports ACC’s potential to prevent osteoporosis and osteoporotic bone fractures, in addition to stimulating bone formation.***

Amorphical is currently conducting a number of parallel preclinical and clinical studies aimed at testing the safety and efficacy of Amorphous Calcium Carbonate as a treatment for several calcium-deficient diseases.

Amorphical is targeting three major markets: (1) the dietary supplements market with its DENSITY brand; (2) pharmaceutical markets, specifically bone metabolism disorders such as osteoporosis, Hypoparathyroidism and solid tumor-related bone metastases; (3) the food additives market.

Calcium as a food additive

As the most abundant mineral in the human body, calcium accounts for 1-2% of body weight with 99% stored in our bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is found in the circulatory system and extra-cellular fluids where it plays an essential role in numerous physiological functions, including the proper functioning of the cardiovascular, neurological, hematological and neuromuscular systems.
LEARN MORE >

* HEALTH (2013)
READ ABSTRACT >>
** PNAS (2008)
READ ABSTRACT >>
*** JBMR (2010)
READ ABSTRACT >>
**** JBMR (2014)
READ ABSTRACT >>